We have an amazing new opportunity for an Apprentice Paralegal to join us at Fragomen. This position offers a fantastic opportunity to gain a formal recognised legal qualification, whilst also obtaining ‘on the job’ experience.
Our Paralegal Apprenticeship is undertaken over a two-year period. During this time, the Apprentice will train to become an Immigration Paralegal by learning on the job, shadowing Paralegals and studying for their Level 4 Certificate of Higher Education (Legal Services). The role of an Apprentice Paralegal will involve working under direct supervision to assist Paralegal 1s and Paralegal 2s with case processing (reviewing and preparing forms, support letters and Firm correspondence) and providing administrative support to the team.
Following the two-year Paralegal Apprenticeship there may be the opportunity to progress on to a Solicitor Apprenticeship in order to become a fully qualified Immigration Solicitor.
Fragomen is the world’s leading exclusive provider of immigration services. We are a firm of more than 6,200 immigration-focused professionals and staff spanning more than 60 offices worldwide. Immigration has been our sole focus for 70 years, and today we offer support in more than 170 countries. We are problem-solvers, innovators and established thought leaders in immigration, providing strategic immigration advice to a diverse range of clients from individuals to the world’s leading multinational corporations.
Fragomen’s professionals are respected thought leaders in the immigration field providing expertise to governments across the world including the US Congress, the UK Parliament, the European Union and the United Nations.
A career at Fragomen will provide you with the opportunity to work in an exciting environment for a broad range of clients, where no two days will be the same. You will face interesting challenges and you will work with dedicated, friendly and ambitious people, where providing exceptional client service is at the core of what we do. We are extremely proud of our diverse workforce at Fragomen and we are fully committed to providing equal opportunities. We believe that our differences make us stronger.
About the Apprenticeship:
Over the two years of the Apprenticeship, the Paralegal Apprentice will have exposure to all or a combination of the following essential functions, under supervision:
1. Case Work
- Learn procedural and processing requirements for various visa types, with a particular focus on Skilled Worker and Global Business Mobility visas
- Support Paralegal 1s and Paralegal 2s with the progression of cases
- Ensure cases are correctly set up on our case management system
- Shadow high touch calls
- Prepare initial drafts of applications and supporting documents
- Prepare draft communications to clients from templates and as directed by Paralegals and Associates
- File applications with the UKVI
- Prepare files for billing and chasing for cost centres/internal orders/purchase orders
- Following up for docu8ments, uploading to internal system in real time
- Preparing reports for external/internal use
- Using the SMS system to create and assign Certificate of Sponsorships to prospective employees, reporting changes of circumstances of employees, including withdrawal of sponsorship
2. Client Support
- Maintain client contact information
- Provide simple case status updates
- Manage client specific drop boxes
3. Administrative Support
- Update the case management system in real time
- Extract data in an accurate manner
- Initiate tasks with our administrative teams
4. Other duties as assigned
- To maintain study of the Paralegal Level 4 Certificate of Law and Legal Practice with BPP including attendance at college and the completion of assignments, exams and an end point assessment, and comply with all learning commitments of the apprenticeship as directed by the Firm and BPP.
- Contributes to the Firm’s overall initiative to consistently improve its image internally and externally. Displays professionalism, quality service and a “can do” attitude to internal members/departments of the Firm as well as external clients and vendors via electronic and print correspondence, of the telephone and in person.
To be considered for this Apprenticeship you will need 96 UCAS Points (CCC A-Level) plus 5x GCSEs at Grade A*-C (or 9-4), including English and Maths (or equivalent).
You will also have a desire to develop your knowledge and skills in the legal sector and an interest in building a career in Immigration.
About the team:
Our legal team in Sheffield is a diverse team with experienced Senior Associates, Associates, Senior Paralegals and Paralegals. Using their entrepreneurial spirit the team is constantly thinking of new ways to provide industry-leading immigration support. As part of the team, you will work with experienced immigration professionals whilst gaining exposure to senior partners in the UK and beyond.
Fragomen in Sheffield:
Our Sheffield office is based in the city centre with the added bonus of free on-site parking, as well as several public transport links close by. The office has approximately 400 people working collaboratively and creating a dynamic, positive environment with over 20 different languages being spoken. You can expect a great working environment and regular events such as Summer and Christmas parties, social and cultural events.
The Firm operates a hybrid working model, which incorporates a blend of in-person attendance as well as working from home – our aim being to fully leverage our remote working technology and provide a balance for our people in the way that they work.
Whether in the office or working remotely, we are proud of our team spirit and we like to reflect this in the way that we work and everything we do. Our Responsible Business Strategy (RBS) prioritises Fragomen’s social responsibility through one cross-cutting theme and five focus areas.. These focus areas include: Wellbeing, Diversity and Inclusion, Charity & Pro bono work, Social and Environmental & Sustainability. The RBS initiative offers great opportunities for everyone at Fragomen to get involved and help steer a variety of initiatives and activities at the Firm. These range from social events and activities, to regular wellbeing newsletters and diversity discussions.
Fragomen is committed to promoting diversity, inclusion and equal opportunity for all employees and applicants, regardless of race, ethnicity, heritage, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or intersex status.