NYL Quantitative Analyst Internship Summer 2024
New York Life Insurance
Location Designation: Hybrid
When you join New York Life, you’re joining a company that values career development, collaboration, innovation, and inclusiveness. We want employees to feel proud about being part of a company that is committed to doing the right thing. You’ll have the opportunity to grow your career while developing personally and professionally through various resources and programs. New York Life is a relationship-based company and appreciates how both virtual and in-person interactions support our culture.
The Asset Liability Management (ALM) & Investment Strategy Team’s mission at New York Life is to effectively partner with the business, finance, and asset management teams to research, develop, and implement investment strategies that help meet business and financial objectives. These goals heavily depend on robust models and data.
This role will have broad responsibilities over the company’s quantitative modeling and projection capabilities. Responsibilities may span modeling of traditional and exotic fixed income and equity assets, designing and implementing both model and platform improvements as well as on going production responsibilities. The role requires strong knowledge of statistics or financial engineering, and strong coding skills, as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a larger interdisciplinary team of quantitative finance and insurance professionals.
This person will interact closely with other areas such as Finance, Actuarial, Risk Management and Investments, as well as the Business Units, regarding quantitative modeling efforts.
This role offers interested candidates the opportunity to learn both traditional and innovative methods for ALM & investment strategy development and to work on challenges and solutions that dominate leading-edge ALM discussions today. This is a structured 10-week program starting in late May and ending in August.
- Challenging assignments and practical on the job experience
- Skill development in the form of training and online courses (i.e. Python)
- An opportunity to meet NYL professionals and NYL actuaries including those in senior management
- Mentorship Program
- Prospect of securing a full-time position with New York Life
- Sponsored social events
- Participate in group volunteer event(s)
- Serve as a quantitative developer to build new capabilities and maintain existing code infrastructure of our ALM platform
- Partner with sector specialists, investment accounting, asset data and research teams to expand the company’s modeling capabilities, that includes a broad spectrum of the investment universe ranging from corporate bonds and structured products to alternative investment and derivatives.
- Research new quantitative modeling methods for stochastic modeling of assets and liabilities with embedded optionality
- Research quantitative investment strategies
- Improve and automate the production processes
- Working towards a Bachelors, Masters or PhD with an accredited college or university (preferred majors in Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, or Financial Engineering)
- Prefer cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Excellent programming skills in an objected oriented language such as Python / C++ / VB.Net / C#. Familiarity with both relational and object data bases
- Strong written and oral communication, and strong interpersonal skills
- Analytically minded
- Ability to think outside the box
- Ability to work independently as well as be a thought leader for others
- Ability to work with tight deadlines and changing priorities and requirements
- Ability to create effective partnerships with diverse roles and positions throughout the organization.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and interviews will begin mid-September.
Salary range: $28 - $32 / hour
Overtime eligible: Nonexempt
Discretionary bonus eligible: No
Sales bonus eligible: No
Click here to learn more about our benefits. Starting salary is dependent upon several factors including previous work experience, specific industry experience, and/or skills required.
Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and volunteerism, supported by the Foundation. We're proud that due to our mutuality, we operate in the best interests of our policy owners. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good At Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
Job Requisition ID: 89294