New York Life Insurance
Location Designation: Remote
When you join New York Life, you’re joining a company that values career development, collaboration, innovation, and inclusiveness. We want employees to feel proud about being part of a company that is committed to doing the right thing. You’ll have the opportunity to grow your career while developing personally and professionally through various resources and programs. New York Life is a relationship-based company and appreciates how both virtual and in-person interactions support our culture.
Job Title: IDI Underwriter
A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It’s a career journey you can be proud of, and you’ll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation. It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are - a mutual company that values our customers rather than outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good at Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
New York Life is seeking an experienced individual disability underwriter for its individual disability income (IDI) insurance business. As one of the first members of the IDI underwriting team, the IDI Underwriter will have the unique opportunity to help develop underwriting process and procedures and ultimately underwrite a new line of business for New York Life. New York City is the preferred location for this position.
- Evaluate IDI applications and determine whether applications should be approved, declined, or if additional information is required based on morbidity, financial, and occupational risks according to company guidelines
- Consult with medical directors and IDI Underwriting management for the purpose of resolving complex medical and non-medical histories
- Interpret underwriting policy and implement established guidelines, department procedures, and regulatory directives
- Effectively articulate underwriting decisions and negotiate appeals of underwriting actions
- Work effectively with third party administrator in the timely and accurate management of all IDI underwriting cases
- Collaborate with agency distribution on a regular basis to promote the IDI product line and build a strong reputation for competitive and responsible offers
- Work with our current or future reinsurance partners to negotiate and secure risk classification for business that may exceed morbidity standards, are above retention, or to secure a more competitive offer
- Keep current on medical, financial, occupational and multi-life IDI underwriting related developments; evaluate changes in IDI underwriting market practices and initiate appropriate response
- Assist with developing and mentoring junior underwriters
- Participate in training and development opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree required; industry related education (DIA, LOMA) desired
- 7+ years of experience in disability/ IDI underwriting
- Knowledge of IDI insurance products and processes
- Experience in handling complex IDI underwriting cases; proven ability to evaluate financial, medical and occupational information to determine the most appropriate underwriting offer; strong working knowledge of medical terminology and awareness of how various medical impairments interact and effect individual morbidity risk
- Experience working closely with medical directors, accounting/ tax and legal resources as needed
- Ability to understand the impact of product form, riders, distribution, regulation, claim management and pricing have on underwriting rules and decisions
- Excellent analytical skills; writing and verbal communications and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with individuals at all levels of the organization
Work effectively within a team environment, as well as work independently
- General computer proficiency required
Salary range: $90,000-$135,000
Overtime eligible: Exempt
Discretionary bonus eligible: Yes
Sales bonus eligible: No
Click here to learn more about our benefits. Starting salary is dependent upon several factors including previous work experience, specific industry experience, and/or skills required.
Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and volunteerism, supported by the Foundation. We're proud that due to our mutuality, we operate in the best interests of our policy owners. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good At Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
Job Requisition ID: 89671