Team Leader, Long Term Disability
New York Life Insurance
Location Designation: Remote
When you join New York Life, you’re joining a company that values career development, collaboration, innovation, and inclusiveness. We want employees to feel proud about being part of a company that is committed to doing the right thing. You’ll have the opportunity to grow your career while developing personally and professionally through various resources and programs. New York Life is a relationship-based company and appreciates how both virtual and in-person interactions support our culture.
The Team Leader, Long Term Disability is a key contributor to the overall claims organization; mission, strategy and annual plan. This position will manage a team of 8-10 Claim Managers and a Senior Claim Manager. The Team Leader ensures that their team is achieving operational goals by monitoring all aspects of inventory within their team and actively coaching their direct reports to optimize performance.
- Fosters a learning culture within the team focused on coaching, regular feedback, accountability, and development that energizes their employees.
- Demonstrates ownership of their claims portfolio, understands and proactively manages inventory and produces consistent overall results.
- Leads team with vision and purpose by recognizing and pointing out strengths and empowering employees to maximize their performance by working with quality and independence.
- Works closely with claim managers by scheduling and participating in case plan sessions and attending their team’s daily medical review sessions. (Listening, showing empathy, and encouraging a solution-focused approach during interactions with the team.)
- Utilize and proactively assess dashboard vs. various metrics reports to ensure consistent team and team performance.
- Identify areas of opportunity, assist with goal setting, and create plans for ongoing improvement.
- Works closely with Director of LTD Operations on customer, client, and organizational challenges.
- Can be depended upon to actively partner with and assist peers.
- Manages team's claim performance according to published Quality and Compliance standards.
- Achieve overall quality review (NQIT and TL/SCM reviews) within standard.
- Consistently achieves quality, effectiveness and efficiency results
- Partners with Director of LTD Operations and peer group to ensure contingency plans are in place to achieve outcomes when challenges arise, such as staffing shortages, new business, system implementation, etc.
- Meets and exceeds the expectations of internal and external customers. Maintains exceptional customer relations while continuously identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Partners with Account Management, Sales, and Director of Client Solutions to attend client visits/finalist presentations and responses to claim investigations / resolutions as needed.
- 5+ years of long term disability claim management experience preferred
- Prior direct supervisor or management experience required
- Ability to work with high sense of urgency
- Bachelor degree preferred or applicable work experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required
- Maintain professionalism and flexibility despite conflicting demands
- Strong acumen for customer needs; solid understanding of financial principles of business
- Strong strategic and tactical skill set.
- Ability to prioritize critical objectives focusing on high impact components
- Demonstrate a mastery of Disability Claims Management, and the functional and technical knowledge and skills to perform the job.
- Demonstrate the ability to meet or exceed goals. Motivates staff towards desired outcomes.
- Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly with all levels of the organization. Encourage candor and openness to foster creativity and an exchange of ideas. Effective at disseminating information for staff to successfully fulfill their duties and responsibilities
- Ability to manage complex and escalated issues with confidence and results. Able to adapt to changing and often ambiguous circumstances.
Salary range: $65,000-$105,000
Overtime eligible: Exempt
Discretionary bonus eligible: Yes
Sales bonus eligible: No
This position is eligible for health and wellness benefits including but not limited to paid vacation, health care insurance and flexible spending accounts, 401K match, and tuition assistance/student loan repayment program.
Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and volunteerism, supported by the Foundation. We're proud that due to our mutuality, we operate in the best interests of our policy owners. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good At Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
Job Requisition ID: 88348