KRI Research Scientist/Engineer II or III, Materials Science
About the Opportunity
The Kostas Research Institute (KRI) at Northeastern University (NU) is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic Research Scientist with expertise in materials science/engineering to work as part of a multi-disciplinary research and development team across the KRI partner network consisting of academic and industry partners and contribute to the successful execution of R&D projects.
The Research Scientist responsibilities include 1) design and fabrication of thin and thick films, bulk materials/ceramics and powders, 2) test and validation of developed materials (including validation of materials using MIL-STD, ISO, and ASTM standards), 3) provide subject matter expertise in materials science across a diverse set of application areas, 4) contribution to proposals, identification of opportunities for follow-on funding to existing programs, publications, patents, and other products, 5) provide laboratory management; including technical oversight for laboratory technical staff, junior research team members and internal and external lab users as appropriate, and 6) development of relationships, funding pipelines, and opportunities to further NU and KRI goals and objectives. The level of hire, Res. Scientist/Engineer II or III will be dependent on the educational background and level of experience of the successful candidate.
This position requires a close working relationship with and support of senior KRI engineers and scientists exhibiting qualities expected from a responsible team player, who demonstrates initiative and motivation to contribute to project, team, and organizational objectives for successful outcomes in government and industry contracts.
KRI conducts cutting-edge applied R&D. The institute was founded with a focus on homeland security. Today, KRI strives to advance resilience in the face of 21st-century risks across a wide range of technologies, emphasizing a collaborative approach that leverages our R1 university intellectual capital and technologies to develop application-specific solutions to customer needs. KRI focuses on satisfying customer-driven needs by co-locating a diverse, highly skilled R&D team that can address all aspects of a particular problem across the full range of technology-readiness levels. KRI headquarters, located at the NU Innovation Campus in Burlington, MA (ICBM), is home to one-of-a-kind research and test facilities for conducting activities related to cognitive and distributed RF signal processing and machine learning, unmanned and autonomous system technologies, as well as quantum materials and sensing. KRI has and is expanding presence in other locations throughout the global NU network.
This position is with KRI at Northeastern University, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of NU. The primary office for this position is located at NU’s Innovation Campus at Burlington, MA (ICBM). Through NU, KRI offers an impressive benefits package, including multiple retirement plan options with extremely generous matching, as well as tuition waiver for classes and advanced degree programs. A full description of available benefits can be found on the NU website.
Education and Experience
- Required: MS in Materials Science or Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or closely related field.
- Preferred: PhD
- Expertise in thin/thick film, bulk materials/ceramics, and powders fabrication over multiple spatial scales (from nano- to centi-meter), and at least three (3) years of relevant research and development experience is required.
- Demonstrated understanding of materials design, engineering, and characterization.
- Demonstrated skills to plan, organize, coordinate, direct and control the activities of the assigned work area are needed.
- Logical and structured approach to decision making, ability to work in a matrixed, collaborative environment, are required.
- Demonstrated independence in execution of experiments.
- Experience with publication of work, technical reporting, strong writing, and presentation skills required.
- Experience representing the company at off-site locations with customers.
- Commitment to Environmental Health and Safety Best Practices is required.
- US Citizenship with the ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Experience executing DoD sponsored programs.
- Experience in test/validation of materials using MIL-STD, ISO, and ASTM standards.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.