Postdoctoral Research Associate
About the Opportunity
The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at Northeastern University invites applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate position in energy storage. An opportunity with financial support is available in Professor Hongli Zhu's group (more details can be found on our website). We are aiming for an appointment to start by March 1st, 2024.
The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in a DOE-funded project, which aims to propel the technology behind the next generation of energy storage devices. The responsibilities of this role encompass:
- Investigating the electrochemical, mechanical, and chemical properties of Li metal.
- Pioneering advancements in electrode, electrolyte, and cell technologies.
- Critically assessing and fine-tuning the performance of the devised technologies.
- Analyzing experimental results and suggesting avenues for improvement.
- Conducting research in a state-of-the-art laboratory equipped with the latest synthetic and analytical chemistry apparatus.
- Compiling comprehensive reports detailing experimental methodologies and results.
- Overseeing and ensuring laboratory safety protocols are adhered to.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Formulate synthetic methodologies for crafting solid-state electrolytes suitable for Li batteries and other cutting-edge battery systems.
- Execute structural and electrochemical analyses of electrode materials.
- Investigate the degradation mechanisms inherent to battery electrodes.
- Publish research findings in reputable scientific journals and deliver impactful presentations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must possess a Ph.D. in Electrochemistry, Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical/Mechanical Engineering, or related disciplines.
A robust foundation in synthesis, materials characterization, and electrochemistry.
- Capability to collaborate harmoniously with both group members and colleagues, whether internal or external.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational capabilities.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Expertise in the synthesis and characterization of solid-state electrolyte materials.
- Familiarity with flow batteries.
- Experience in cell technology evolution, battery manufacturing, and the building and testing of prototype battery samples.
- Exceptional communication abilities, both written and spoken.
- An inherent drive and initiative to tackle tasks. Must be proactive.
- Must possess hands-on skills and be self-motivated. A collaborative, team-first mentality is essential.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.