Intramural Sports Coordinator, University Recreation
About the Opportunity
The Coordinator of University Recreation – Intramural Sports is responsible for the development and administration of a comprehensive Intramural Sports program, assists with general facility operations, and risk management projects. This position, in collaboration with their supervisor, supports the oversight of all aspects of the Intramural Sports Program, including development, operations and public presence. This position also provides support in planning and facilitating regular CPR trainings for all staff and is required to keep accurate records of all current staff certifications. Provides leadership, management, and supervision for assigned University Recreation facilities and personnel. This individual will serve as a supervisor of student employees, interns, temporary non-student employees and various facilities for University Recreation.
The Coordinator will serve as a primary safety and risk manager for areas of oversight in the Department and spend considerable time developing policies and procedures in collaboration with the University Recreation team. They will serve as secondary risk manager for the Department in all capacities.
Required to work nights and weekends on a regular basis.
- Assist in the management, development, and administration of a comprehensive Intramural Sports program in all of its entirety.
- Assist with coordinating Intramural Sport schedules in collaboration with Athletic Operations, Athletic Facilities, and University Recreation utilizing IMLeagues and EMS scheduling software for all events and competitions utilizing Northeastern facilities.
- Assist with the complete hiring process of all Intramural Sport Employees. Ensure that an adequate number of employees are hired, trained, and scheduled to effectively administer all intramural programs.
- Assist with submitting/tracking weekly payroll for Intramural Sport and Facility Staff. Provide reports regarding budgetary trends and means to ensure the continuing optimal usage of program funds.
- Assist with administering university and department policies, including discipline and risk management to ensure proper procedure is followed daily as it applies to intramural sports operations and functions.
- Develop and regularly update the Intramural Sports Handbook including policy writing, best practices and extensive knowledge of university/department policies and procedures.
- Assist with applying knowledge of national trends in university Intramural Sport programs and skill to implement appropriate trends within the Northeastern University culture to foster an inclusive and enjoyable experience.
- Conduct, evaluate and work with reports, surveys, and statistical information to provide analytical reports and recommend process improvements and changes in practices and procedures to increase program efficiency and expedite workflow.
- Assist with the development of new intramural sports by soliciting interest and monitoring national trends.
- Assist with the effective management of registration and documentation materials for intramural sport participants.
- Assist with enhancing student learning, leadership, and development through programming, service opportunities, and evaluative processes.
- Ensure that proper procedures and policies are communicated and followed at all facilities in-which Intramural Sports programming takes place. Assist in training the intramural sports staff on the appropriate procedures and use of each location.
- Seek creative solutions to problems and initiates improvements to programs, systems, and services.
- Assist with administering and enforcing compliance and risk management policies for University Recreation, Intramural Sports, and the University. This position provides support in planning and facilitating regular CPR training for student staff and is required to keep accurate records of all current staff certifications.
- Serve as a facility supervisor and manager for the Marino Recreation Center and the SquashBusters Center facilities as needed.
- Upon request, represent University Recreation at Athletic Staff meetings, Dept. Staff Meetings, and other Athletic meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in recreation management, sports administration, higher education administration or related field.
- Minimum of 1 year of successful experience in sports or recreation administration or within a closely related field (GA experience considered).
- Demonstrated attention to detail, the ability to work effectively cross-functionally, and multi-tasking capabilities.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment that values high expectations, accountability, and balanced lifestyles.
- Ability to effectively communicate and set priorities in order to perform a high volume of detailed work with regular distractions and interruptions. Must be able to problem solve.
- Ability to work independently and within a team focused environment.
- Must have passion for planning, implementing and evaluating recreational programs and activities.
- Lifting equipment ranging from 10lbs. – 400lbs. is required, with assistance from others or from machinery.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.