About the Opportunity
Under the general supervision of the Trades Manager - Electrical, the Electrician performs a variety of duties in the maintenance operations of the Electrical Shop including but not limited to:
- Installing, altering, and repairing wiring systems for lighting, building automation systems, hearing, power as well as various control system circuitries.
- Performing inspection work, checking for overloaded circuits, maintaining emergency lighting systems, etc.as needed.
- Reading and working from blueprints, diagrams, sketches, and specifications to troubleshoot, layout, install, and maintain electrical equipment.
- Performing routine preventative maintenance.
- Providing special event support as required.
The Electrician will be required to work in an overtime capacity and respond to emergency call-ins as required or directed to ensure proper plan operations. The Electrician is considered Essential Personnel. This is a condition of employment.
Job description subject to change based upon the University needs and demands.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Suitable candidates will have a high school diploma from an accredited Vocational High School or possess the equivalent technical training, demonstrated mechanical aptitude and work experience. Experience working in new construction, remodeling, repairs and maintenance of institutional, commercial and residential buildings preferred.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS
- Must possess and maintain a State of Massachusetts Journeyman Electrician’s license.
- Must possess and maintain a valid United States state of residence driver's license and DOT Examiner’s Certificate.
- Must be Arc-Flashed NFPA-70 Certified.
- Must be a self-starter who takes direction and follows through on tasks.
- Ability to prioritize and successfully manage multiple work assignments.
- Basic computer skills with the ability/desire to learn new software programs.
- Ability to learn and effectively use Northeastern’s Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) for receiving, completing and documenting actions on Work Orders.
- Must be willing to work as part of a team.
- Must be able to effectively interact with people at a variety of different levels with a focus on customer needs.
- Must be able to perform manual labor, including frequent lifting/carrying/transporting loads up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to transport piping and equipment in excess of 200 lbs. with others. May use chain falls and come alongs for heavier lifting.
- Must be able to push and pull heavy loads as required.
- Must be able to stoop and bend for long periods of time; work on hands and knees and other awkward positions for extended periods; routinely walk to and from various buildings carrying tools, equipment and other essentials to the job site.
- Must be able to work alone and climb multiple sets of stairs, work off ladders, staging, lifts, etc.
- This position has a 40-hour work week; must be able to work overtime as needed.
- Must be able to respond to emergency calls beyond the normal workday.
- This position requires a criminal background check.
All University staff members must successfully complete a 90-day probationary period.
Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday, 7AM - 3:30PM
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.