Job Req Number: 76427
Based Purfleet, Essex
The General Manager (GM) has overall accountability for leading a Regional Distribution & Warehouse team based in South of England (Purfleet, Essex and Bristol) within our UK Domestic network. Reporting to the UK Domestic Director will be Directly responsible for providing a high-quality service for International & Domestic Customers on a regional basis in addition to trunking operations into the UK Domestic network.
This is a key role in the UK Domestic Leadership Team, supporting the Domestic networks strategy as the main UK Hub. The GM will have Local and Regional Senior Managers reporting to them, aligning all operational, commercial and strategic activities.
The GM must ensure International Customers are serviced in line with business expectations and key performance indicators, whilst being responsible for the performance of Regional UK Customers in terms of service, quality, growth, and financial performance
The role also requires excellent stakeholder management with numerous internal customers across multiple markets.
The ideal candidate must have high energy, passion for action and driven to deliver high performance levels across all operational areas to create a path for career progression within DSV.
A critical part of this role will be to seek and develop commercial opportunities that will increase DSV’s revenues and profitability through providing enhanced value-added service.
- Continuously develop personal knowledge of supply chain/operational processes, financial objectives, and general business acumen to benefit DSV’s client’s and their own personal career development.
- Review and maintain procedures and processes that guide DSV’s operational & administration team’s in support of the customer’s logistical needs, helping to establish new procedures if necessary.
- Responsible for the direct relationships with each customer, both operational and financially.
- Responsible for the recruitment, training, development, and discipline of all personnel associated with your allocated accounts, maintaining appropriate liaison with the Company’s HR department.
- Ensuring that all employees within your responsibility area work to the required standards of the Company and are assessed through regular performance reviews.
- Monitoring, on an ongoing basis, the performance of all direct reports, and undertake regular reviews in accordance with the Company’s procedures. In addition to ensure that the employee engagement concept (known as the People Plan/appraisal system) is embedded and practiced within the site.
- Promoting DSV (and its associated companies within the DSV Group) by always adopting a professional approach.
- Ensuring that there is regular & effective communication through team briefings.
- Drive service improvement by promoting, supporting, and implementing the site continuous improvement program’s
- Maintaining effective liaison with the Company’s Business development and Global Account Management Teams (if you customer is a nominated Global Account) team to ensure the maximum recruitment of new customers and the development of the existing customer base in line with the Company’s strategic objectives and targets.
- Develop and continuously maintain business plans to identify account objectives, DSV’s vision, KPI’s, measures for success whilst identifying resources to reach and exceed these objectives.
- The General Manager will also be expected to Step up & cover for the Domestic Director.
- Understand and comply with all relevant Company rules, agreements, policies, procedures and with all relevant legislative requirements and codes of practice.
- Ensure Company business is treated in the strictest confidence and not disclosed to persons outside the Company.
- You will be the P&L owner and must have good experience and managing profit and loss accounts
- Act in a professional manner, ensure good working relationships are always maintained and promote a good image of the Company
- Maintain and comply with all Health, Safety and Environmental standards, to be aware of the Occupational Health & Safety Management System, OHSAS18001 and to appreciate the responsibility you have to adhere to the respective procedures.
- Be aware that the Company operates a Quality Assurance system ISO 9001:2008 and adhere to the respective procedures.
- Ensure a good standard of housekeeping through observance of relevant Company policies and ensure that work areas are secure and locked when unoccupied.
- Where appropriate challenge and determine reasons for presence on site of any unauthorised person.
- Attend any development training as required in compliance with the Company’s commitment to the Investors in People standard.
- Senior Management experience in a similar sector & role
- High proficiency in Profit and loss finance management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good understanding of Warehouse & Final Mile Distribution processes and procedures
- Excellent people management skills
- Experience of Warehouse Management & Planning Systems
- Continuous Improvement & Lean Methodology experience, evidenced
- Passionate about delivering high quality customer service
- Hard working and conscientious. Can lead a team by example and work within a team
- Proven management skills with the ability to optimise team performance and development
- Highly developed inter-personal and communication skills coupled with the ability to negotiate and influence at all levels within the business
- Ability to build, lead and motivate a skilled team able to meet objectives and agreed targets
- Good IT skills, in particular spreadsheets and databases and a knowledge of warehouse systems
- Analytical and numerical
- Strong decision-making skills
- Excellent attention to detail skills
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Must have experience in working in a fast moving, central X-Dock Hub. In an on time critical, high quality service driven environment
- Lean methodology, Continuous Improvement, Six Sigma experience preferable.
- Degree Qualified (desirable)
- 3 years of an Account Management or a Senior Operational Role
- Demonstrable evidence of high performance in Profit and Loss, Budgeting, and financial reporting
- Minimum of 3 years Site Management Experience
- Ability to drive organic business growth
- Excellent Microsoft Office Skills
- Data driven & analytical
- Leadership, ability of achieving and exceeding business goals
- Successful implementation of a continuous improvement culture
- Ability to lead and motivate direct reports
- Highly motivated with a positive attitude
- High organisational skills, ability to plan and manage own time
- Excellent communication skills, ability to communicate at all levels
- Full Driving Licence
- Import & Export Customs knowledge preferable
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- A role in one of the largest market leading global freights forwarding companies
- Being part of a strong team of performance driven colleagues
- Competitive salary & benefits package
- Great opportunities for career progression
- A professional, modern working environment
DSV – Global Transport and Logistics
DSV is a dynamic workplace that fosters inclusivity and diversity. We conduct our business with integrity, respecting different cultures and the dignity and rights of individuals. When you join DSV, you are working for one of the very best performing companies in the transport and logistics industry. You’ll join a talented team of more than 75,000 employees in over 80 countries, working passionately to deliver great customer experiences and high-quality services. DSV aspires to lead the way towards a more sustainable future for our industry and are committed to trading on nature’s terms.
We promote collaboration and transparency and strive to attract, motivate and retain talented people in a culture of respect. If you are driven, talented and wish to be part of a progressive and versatile organisation, we’ll support you and your need to achieve your potential and forward your career.