Transformation Project Management Lead - Finance
About the Opportunity
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Northeastern University is on a path of rapid global growth and research excellence as outlined in the Beyond 2025 Academic Plan. In support of this Academic Plan, the university is embarking on a Finance Transformation Program that will modernize the financial processes and related technology that amplify and impact the Academic Plan. This Program will lead to advancements in finance operations throughout the Global Network by streamlining duplicative and manual systems, redesigning end-to-end business processes, improving Northeastern’s security and access level configurations, and enhancing reporting capabilities.
The Transformation Project Management Lead plays a key role in the Finance Transformation Program, working closely with our implementation partner’s project management team and the Northeastern implementation teams to ensure the success of the Workday Finance ERP suite.
This is a term position that is expected to last through December 2025 but may be extended based on business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Business, Information Technology, Project Management.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is a plus.
- Experience with one or more project management methodologies (for example, PMI PMBOK, PRINCE2 and Agile). PMP certification preferred.
- Proficiency in project management software and tools.
- Proven experience in managing ERP implementation projects – preferably Workday Finance.
- Prior experience in higher education is highly desirable
- Experience with Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) process required
- Strong understanding of ERP systems, their functionalities, and best practices.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Leadership and team management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading diverse teams.
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to develop and communicate
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain IT concepts and technologies to business leaders, and business concepts to the Project team staff. Experience preparing executive-level communications preferred.
- Demonstrated success working in a cross-functional team environment
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, results-driven environment, managing through ambiguity
- Experience using consulting skills and developing customer relationships
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Professional presence and comfort and confidence working with all levels in an organization is required.
- Effective influencing and negotiation skills in an environment where resources may not be in direct control of this role
- Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning and execution skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a strategic resource plan
- High attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Work closely with our Workday Finance implementation partner to gain a clear understanding of the project plan including roles and responsibilities, timelines, and milestones.
- Learn the project management tools and reporting mechanisms utilized by the implementation team
- Monitor scope changes, ensuring that they are carefully evaluated for their impact on the project's timeline and budget.
- Identify, communicate and mitigate potential risks early in the project.
- Establish quality control procedures and standards to ensure the ERP system meets your business requirements.
- Track key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure the success of the ERP system and carrying them into through post-implementation to ensure the system's ongoing success.
- Maintain open and transparent communication with your partner by participating in regularly scheduled status meetings
- Ensure that key stakeholders remained informed and engaged throughout the project to maintain their commitment and support.
- Clearly communicate the project governance structure and ensuring that project teams are following those standards.
- Work closely with the change management team to understand the change management, communication and training plans that will help address the cultural and process changes the ERP implementation will bring.
- Help to establish a training plan and ensuring it is being followed to so that end-users are prepared and trained for the new system.
- Lead teams through thorough testing plans - including unit testing, system testing, and user acceptance testing (UAT).
- Ensure that the system meets the functional and technical requirements.
- Understand data integration and migration plans to help ensure data accuracy and integrity.
- Support knowledge transfer from the implementation partner to your team.
- Help maintain detailed documentation of the ERP implementation, including configurations, customizations, and user manuals.
- Understand legal agreements and tracking implementation partner’s performance against scope and milestone deliverables to help ensure project success.
- Track program expenses to ensure the project doesn’t go over budget.
- Adapt to unforeseen challenges and changes in project dynamics.
Position TypeGeneral Administration
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.