Associate Dean - Miami
About the Opportunity
Under the direction of the Regional CEO & Dean, the Associate Dean serves as a member of the leadership team, responsible for the planning and coordination of academic delivery, effective delivery of student services, academic planning, licensure, compliance, accreditation processes and protocols. The Associate Dean plays a key role in fulfilling the vision of the Campus and all the activities that position the Campus as a strong asset in the region. This position's scope will expand along with the growth of the Campus. This person will often serve as the Campus lead in absence of the Dean.
Located on our Miami campus and reporting to the Dean & CEO, the Associate Dean serves as a key member of the campus leadership team, responsible for oversight and guidance of academic program delivery and innovation, compliance/regulatory matters, faculty affairs, student services, career advising, and overall program innovation.
Working closely with the Dean, the Miami team, and other leaders across the Northeastern’s Global University System, the Associate Dean leads the vision and delivery of various initiatives designed to promote innovation in academic offerings, including co-curricular experiential learning opportunities. Partnering with college leadership and other university stakeholders, they also ensure the successful delivery of academic programs and an exceptional student experience. Additional responsibilities include the development and implementation of new programs in collaboration with the academic colleges and the global network. Working with Dean/CEO, the Associate Dean also leads the development, implementation, and assessment of strategic plans and other related projects that enhance and support the mission of the Campus, including initiatives to promote diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging on campus.
We seek an exceptional and experienced servant leader with a high level of intellectual humility who thrives on bringing people together to solve shared goals. The ideal candidate will be driven by the mission and objectives of Northeastern University’s Global University System and the Miami campus. The Associate Dean will support and promote an organizational culture of impact, be willing to experiment, and navigate ambiguity and complexity, while staying focused on advancing the objectives.
A seasoned leader who knows how to inspire a team and lead projects, the Associate Dean will also have a strong track record of mentoring and developing talent. The ideal candidate must be able to think strategically and “connect the dots” but is also someone with a high level of personal accountability who is willing to get into the weeds, when needed, to solve complex and nuanced problems. Finally, the Associate Dean will be adept at crisis management and solving problems quickly and thoughtfully with advanced change management skills.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated individual who enjoys working in a results-oriented, innovative, and fast-paced environment, and who has experience connecting with students, academic administrators, faculty, and external stakeholders.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & ATTRIBUTES
- Self-starter with high degree of personal accountability and ability to thrive under pressure with minimal direction.
- A proven record of fostering a culture of innovation and operating in a creative and growing organization.
- Demonstrate ability to lead and create impact with ability to think both strategically and operationally in a complex environment.
- Ability to successfully lead, motivate and manage multi-skilled staff groups and to build effective teams and networks.
- Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills, particularly when it comes to academic administration.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills with ability to produce detailed documents and memos.
- Proven track record partnering with local academic and other institutions to deliver high-quality partnerships and events.
- Ability to have difficult conversations when required.
- Ability to function as an organizational ambassador, active listener, and facilitator.
- Demonstrate experience working effectively to enhance diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Authenticity and engaging communication skills (verbally and in writing) with people at all levels and from all walks of life.
- Knowledge and skills required for this position are typically acquired through graduate studies at a master’s or doctoral level in education, leadership, or a related field plus at least 5-10 years of relevant experience in higher education roles.
- A track record of respected leadership positions in an academic setting is required.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
Serves as a strategist for developing academic programs, including recommending and implementing innovative new academic curricula. Acts as the primary liaison with college Deans, Associate Deans, Program Directors, other academic personnel and regional network colleagues to ensure programs are aligned with local and regional workforce needs. Ensures that faculty, staff, and students have the proper classroom setup, technology available, etc., to deliver the best learning/teaching experience.
Budget Planning/Fiscal Management
Working closely with the Dean, provides budget planning and oversight to ensure efficient and effective use of fiscal resources to achieve financial and enrollment goals. Works collaboratively with Boston-based staff to set budget goals to include revenue/expense projections, enrollment targets, and effective pro forma management. Supports Dean in strategic planning process, conducting regular review and updates as appropriate.
Onsite lead for the Miami campus buildout to include construction, design, systems and furniture installation, security, and vendor partnerships. Co-ordinates and schedules Northeastern University – Miami activities and events to include recruitment activities, student and community events, and other activities to serve both internal and external stakeholders. Supervises support staff to ensure quality customer and student experience.
Licensure, Compliance and Accreditation
Manages the Campus licensure, compliance, and accreditation criteria and processes in consultation with the governing authority.
Position TypeGeneral Administration
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.