Associate Director - Internal Communications
About the Opportunity
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
The Associate Director of Internal Communications reports to the Executive Director of Internal Communications and plays a vital role in developing and implementing communication and marketing strategies to support major research initiatives and projects within the Office of the Provost at Northeastern University. The Associate Director will be a key member of the Internal Communications team, acting as a subject matter expert and lead point of contact for centers, institutes, impact engines, and other high-impact research. This role requires excellent content development, writing skills, project management, and creative capabilities to support Northeastern’s academic plan. This role will focus on research communications, including drafting, editing, formatting, and graphic design of high-quality written content.
Internal Research Communications/Impact Engines:
- Works closely with the Vice Provost for Global Impact on weekly Impact Engine related communications to various stakeholders.
- Design and maintain central Impact Engines website including individual webpages.
- Develop content for websites, the provost office newsletter, and other communications to ensure consistency, freshness, and usability of content.
- Support the maintenance of the research website in conjunction with the Senior Vice Provost for Research/team through ongoing updates related to research successes and breakthroughs.
- Generate infographics and adapt academic technical writing for non-academic audiences, such as policymakers and practitioners.
- Work collaboratively with researchers to write narratives about the organization's research and latest findings for internal audiences.
Research Communication and Marketing Strategy:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the university's research communications strategy with Senior Vice Provost for Research/team.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director of Internal Communications, develop communication plans to identify objectives, strategies, target audiences, tactics, and key messages for research initiatives and projects focused on Impact Engines, Centers and Institutes.
- Partner with External Affairs on external facing research communications when needed.
Collaborative Partnerships and Engagement:
- Working with the Executive Director of Internal Communications, External Affairs, and faculty, staff, and affiliates to identify opportunities for op-eds, policy briefs, publications, and other content and draft these materials when requested.
- Partner with Center and Institute communication staff to ensure consistent strategy and messaging.
- Bachelor's degree required in business administration, marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, or a closely related field (master's degree preferred).
- Demonstrated leadership in strategic research communications with documented results.
- Strategic thinker with proven ability to conceive and execute storytelling content aligned with institutional and brand objectives across a variety of platforms.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and align priorities with colleagues.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Familiarity with AP style writing.
- Ability to communicate complex research messages to various audiences, including a lay audience.
- Familiarity with or experience working in higher education and/or research institutions.
- Experience in technical writing and making complex material easily digestible for specialized or target audiences.
- Proficiency in graphic design and digital content creation; bonus if familiar with Adobe suite of platforms.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills, with the ability to engage colleagues at all levels. It is imperative that this person develop and strengthen relationships across the university network to drive projects and initiatives forward.
- Familiarity with current news and cultural trends related to research and technology.
If you are a strategic and creative communicator with a passion for research and higher education, we invite you to apply for this exciting opportunity. Join our team and contribute to showcasing and advancing Northeastern University's high impact research initiatives and fostering engagement, support, and investment from key audiences.
Position TypeMarketing and Communications
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.