Assistant Director of International and Graduate Admissions, School of Law
About the Opportunity
Northeastern University School of Law attracts several thousand inquiries and nearly 800 applicants each year for the graduate Master of Legal Studies (MLS) and Master of Laws (LLM) programs. Reporting to the Director of International & Graduate Admissions, the Assistant Director of International and Graduate Admissions plays a key role in helping execute the law school’s strategic plan for enrollment. The Assistant Director is involved in recruiting efforts and yield activities, counseling, and application processing and review. Building multiple online applications to the law school; liaising with multiple entities both on and off campus for program development; analyzing data and producing reports. Additionally, this position is responsible for answering calls and e-mails from prospective and admitted students, drafting and sending correspondence to prospective students, and representing the School of Law in public venues and formats. Occasional night or weekend work and international travel may be required.
1. Interface with Internal and External Constituents:
- Maintaining relationships with the customer service representatives at the Law School Admission Council (the provider of law school admission software), the Office of the Registrar, the Office of Financial Aid and Information Technology Services as well as other relevant NU offices.
- Work with the NU Slate team on the application, data flow, and application processing.
- Serves as the SEVIS contact for international students.
- Work with outside vendors who assist with mailings, other suppliers of technical support for our system, and suppliers of operational support materials.
2. Applicant Assessment and Application Review:
- Create and maintain all LLM and MLS applications in Slate and ACES2 (law school application systems).
- Serve as a principal administrative reviewer for all LLM and MLS law school applications, and back up for the JD school applications. This includes managing the process, workflow and decision for all LLM and MLS applicants.
- Make initial decision recommendations based on holistic assessment of each applicant’s experience, personal background, academic record, and other indicators of potential for success in the study of law.
3. Data Management:
- Oversight of LLM and MLS reporting and extracting data from external sources through Slate, sharing data with internal departments through internal data sharing procedures.
- Update multiple law school applications each year.
- Provide data analysis and update the data model for incoming LLM and MLS prospective law students.
- Manage annual and ad-hoc internal and external audits related to areas of responsibility.
- Provide data for the University's accreditation and reconciliation of Slate data with the Law School Admission Council’s ACES2/Unite.
4. Recruitment Planning and Admissions Counseling:
- Educate prospective students about the law school’s academic programs, community, and admission requirements for graduate programs in an informative, accurate, and friendly manner.
- Respond to in person, email, and phone inquiries from prospective students.
- Meet with prospective students, applicants, and admitted students for graduate programs and provide guidance about the law school admission process and financial aid.
- Represent the law school at law student recruitment events.
- Create and deliver presentations about Northeastern Law, admissions, and financial aid at both on- and off-campus at events, such as law school information fairs and Law School Admission Council Forums.
- Assists in the outreach to bar associations and administrators/advisors at international universities to create and maintain robust recruitment pipelines.
5. Other Essential Duties:
- Serve as backup for leading campus tours and answering admissions phone line and responding to e-mails in the general admissions inbox.
- Assist the office with event planning and execution as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor in support of the Law School’s mission and the department meeting its goals.
- Bachelor's degree and 3-5 years working in higher education or relevant experience
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion and a proven ability to work with a diverse group of students, staff, and faculty
- The ideal candidate will have progressive experience using admission databases, generating and analyzing reports, working with relational databases
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and SharePoint; comfortable navigating new technology
- Proficiency in data analysis and maintaining data integrity
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to analyze and improve work-flow process
- The successful candidate has strong attention to detail, problem solving skills, exceptional organizational skills with the ability to organize time and priorities, including multiple tasks and deadline pressures
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as the ability to collaborate and communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with a strong customer service focus; as well as the ability to build strong professional relationships.
- Must be self-directed, able to make independent decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters.
- Completion of or enrollment in a graduate degree in higher education or a related field is preferred.
- Experience working with international student populations is preferred.
- Experience in implementing new technologies preferred.
- Experience using Slate, ACES2/Unite, and Banner Experience working with third-party enrollment or marketing vendors.
Documents to Submit:
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and list of references in a single PDF file.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.